The Truth about Teeth Sensitivity
Millions of adults suffer from teeth sensitivity, but today there are many ways to ease and relieve this biting problem. Discover how dental care experts can help soothe your sensitive teeth.
Understanding Sensitive Teeth
If you suffer from teeth sensitivity, you’re familiar with that sharp sensation in your teeth after consuming foods and drinks that are cold, hot, acidic, or sweet. This is the result of your tooth enamel eroding over the years and revealing the layer beneath called the dentin, which is directly connected to the tooth’s nerves. When the dentin encounters pressure or extreme temperatures, this literally “strikes a nerve” and results in a pang of pain.
Reasons for Sensitive Teeth
There are many different reasons why a tooth’s dentin would be exposed and lead to sensitivity, according to dental care experts. Common culprits include:
- Brushing too often or over-aggressive brushing that erodes tooth enamel.
- Gum recession.
- Teeth grinding, which can wear away the enamel of the tooth.
- Chipped, cracked or broken teeth can expose the sensitive dentin.
- Aging teeth.
- Acidic beverages, including fruit juices and sodas, can erode tooth enamel and reveal the dentin beneath.
- Certain dental care treatments, such as teeth whitening and dental restorations, can cause temporary teeth sensitivity following the procedure.
Managing Teeth Sensitivity
The only way to know the actual source of your teeth sensitivity is to have a dental examination. In the office, your dentist can apply protective treatments or place dental restorations on sensitive teeth to build up your tooth enamel. A dental care professional can also prescribe at-home advice to soothe the sting of sensitive teeth. Many dentists recommend the following:
- Gently brush and floss to stave off further gum recession and enamel erosion.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Select a toothpaste made especially for sensitive teeth.
- Get regular professional check-ups and cleanings to reduce future sensitivity.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Abington, call Drs. Finkelman & Machlus, DDS today at (215) 310-5826 or make an appointment.
Drs. Finkelman & Machlus, DDS offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Abington. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Drs. Finkelman & Machlus, DDS, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Drs. Finkelman & Machlus, DDS.